Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Review: New Nordic Gardens

New Nordic Gardens: Scandinavian Landscape Design

New Nordic Gardens
Annika Zettterman

As someone fascinated by the elements of Scandinavian design, I found New Nordic Gardens, a terrific book for getting to know more about how Scandinavians view nature, the outdoors and their gardens. This work focuses on gardens in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland. The author provides numerous insights on the importance of light, materials and simplicity of design. The book is well written and contains numerous garden examples illustrated with beautiful photography. It would no doubt be a great gift idea for gardening enthusiasts.

You don't need to live in a harsh northern climate to enjoy this book, either, or to adapt many of the ideas presented. The chapters, whether they cover, using color, light, materials or seasons will inspire new ideas for creating harmony within your environment, regardless of where that is. I personally loved the idea of incorporating more ornamental grasses in the garden. I will also be thinking more about how light, both during day and night as well as during different seasons, affects what and how I plant. All in all, I'm sure this is a book I will be coming back to again and again for ideas and inspiration.

This review was written by me for City Book Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment