Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Review: Murder at the Mill

Murder at the Mill: A Mystery

Murder at the Mill
M.B. Shaw

When Iris Grey rents a cottage in an English village as a way of spending time away from her deteriorating marriage, she gets the opportunity to paint a portrait of Dominic Wetherby. He is not only the owner of the estate and cottage where Iris is staying, but he is also a famous writer with a popular television series to boot. Iris can't help being drawn into the Wetherby family circle which is full of interesting characters. But when Dominic's body is found floating in the water, Iris isn't convinced it was a suicide. With the help of Dominic's family and friends, she hopes to find out what happened.

As I read the first few chapters of this book, I wasn't convinced it was going to be an exciting story. It seemed too slow moving and slightly stilted, but the more I read, the more I got pulled into the complicated life of the Wetherby family. The author had a knack for creating multifaceted characters and combined with the twists and turns in the plot I felt the story take on a life of its own. By the end, I was totally smitten with Iris Grey and, happy to learn that there will be more adventures to come.

This review was originally written by me for City Book Review

No comments:

Post a Comment