Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Review: Havana A Subtropical Delirium

Havana: A Subtropical Delirium

Havana: A Subtropical Delirium
Mark Kurlansky

I was immediately drawn to the title of this book. It seemed so sultry and exotic, which I suppose is how I think of Havana. I can't imagine a better or more appropriate title for a book that allowed me to discover so much about this intriguing island. Throughout the book, the history of Cuba and especially Havana was explored with a passion, warmth and humor that I found intoxicating and mesmerizing.

Many of us know about the revolution of Fidel Castro and his band of followers, but his book covers so much that was unknown to me both before the Castro revolution and after. I felt Mr. Kurlansky gave me a real feel for the island's people and their culture. I was quite intrigued by the numerous authors mentioned in this book, and while I haven't yet had the pleasure to discover these Cuban icons, I have every intention of doing so.

This was a highly readable and entertaining account of Cuban history and culture that I found hard to put down.


This review was written by me and originally published by City Book Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment