Monday, April 30, 2018

Review: The Road to Little Dribbling

The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain

The Road to Little Dribbling
Bill Bryson

While I have read several of Mr. Bryson's books: A Walk in the Woods, The Lost Continent and In a Sunburned Country, I have to admit I haven't read Notes from a Small Island. I am happy to say that fact did not stop me from enjoying The Road to Little Dribbling. Going back to were it all started in 1995, he takes another look at a place he has come to know and love. With a new journey in mind he sets out to discover how the small Island has moved on since his last journey. The result is classic Bryson where he points out the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly aspects of the United Kingdom, always in an engaging and entertaining manner that only he seems to be able to convey.

Of course, just when you think Bryson has lost faith in his adopted Island, he turns a corner and rediscovers the beauty of the countryside and the joy of rambling. It is then that you get the feeling there's no other place in the world he would rather be. I for one am happy he decided to take me along on the trip. I only wish he would discover the art of photography because a few visuals would make this already interesting book even more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment