Saturday, December 17, 2016

Review: Old Favorites



Old Favorites

I woke up to a gloomy, rainy, wintry Saturday and, although I have a pile of books that I need to read and hopefully provide you all with some interesting reviews, I found myself looking at my bookshelves, thinking about some of the books that I wish I had time to read again. At the top of my list is, The White Guard by Mikhail Bulgakov.  The story is set in 1918 during the Russian Civil War, and it follows the Turbin family who finds that the world they once knew is disappearing around them. I don't know what it was about this book, but I was so enchanted with Bulgakov that I had to read everything he wrote after that. While he, no doubt wrote books that are better known than this one, I still remember this one fondly.
The White Guard


I would also love to re-read P.G. Wodehouse Life at Blandings because it was simply hilarious. Luckily the BBC had a DVD available titled Blandings Castle, which, if I'm not mistaken, follow some of the episodes in this book. So, if I'm lazy, maybe I'll purchase the DVD instead.
Brazzaville BeachLife at Blandings

Snobs I also wish I could find the time to re-read Jillian Fellowes Snobs, and William Boyd's Brazzaville Beach, both of which were just great as far as I'm concerned. And last but not least I'm hoping I can find time to re-read Doctor Brodie's Report by Jorge Luis Borges because these were some of the best short stories I think I've ever read.
Brodie's Report

What do you think? Do you have any favorite books that you would like to find time to re-read? Leave me a comment below. I would love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment